The Readers & Writers Esperance 2021 program commenced in January 2021 and culminated with a weekend event at the Bijou Theatre, May 28th to 30th.
This series of workshops and events has bought together a wide range of voices, storytellers established and emerging, locals and visitors, writers and visual artists, to connect with each other and with our wider community, to share stories, to develop new skills and networks and to nurture creative journeys.
The program has included a range of opportunities for creative expression, professional development and collaboration, with activities for participants of all ages - from book readings for under 5's, to journaling, poetry, songwriting and scriptwriting workshops, to techniques for upcycling old books to create wonderful new artworks.
See the video of how the finale event went and all the work that was done in this program. Our schools program also ran from 27th -28th engaging around 1500 students from 13 schools in the Esperance region thank to schools coordinator Lesley Mather.
"The Power of Words" by Jennell Reynolds
This artwork, "The Power of Words", has been created especially for the Readers and Writers Esperance 2021 program by Nyungar artist Jennell Reynolds (Nannapa). It represents women and men from different groups coming together in Kepa Kurl (Esperance) to share and celebrate different types of storytelling. At the centre of the artwork the powerful flow of language and text forges its way through society, altering perceptions as it goes.
While this is a free community program, Esperance Community Arts incurs ongoing costs associated with program coordination and management. Any donation you can make will assist us to continue delivering accessible and inclusive activities for our community. Donations of $2 and over are tax deductible. If you would like to make a donation now, please click here.
Alternatively you can make a direct donation via EFT (BSB: 036-150 ACCOUNT: 283565) . Cash donations will also be invited at this event.
Professor Kim Scott Edge-wise
Sat 29th May, 4-5pm
Kim Scott is an award-winning novelist, having twice won the Miles Franklin Award (for Benang and That Deadman Dance) among many other Australian literary prizes. His most recent novel is Taboo. Proud to be one among those who call themselves Noongar, Kim is also founder and chair of Wirlomin Noongar Language and Stories (www.wirlomin.com.au ). Kim is currently Professor of Writing in the School of Media, Creative Arts and Social Inquiry at Curtin University.
reGister to attend
our grAND FINALE EVENT
28TH - 30TH MAY
Join us for the Grand Finale of our Readers and Writers Esperance 2021 Program. This weekend of events featuring visiting writers and Esperance writers is the culmination of 5 months of workshops designed to establish new connections and develop new skills in our community for telling local stories. Scroll down to Events or click here to register.
Author Interviews with
Carol Hoggart and Lois Saunders.
Click on the photos to listen to Esperance authors and RaWE subcommittee members Carol and Lois talking about why they are looking forward to the Readers and Writers Esperance 2021 Program.
Presenters and activities
Community Workshops @ Esperance Community Arts Space
Scriptwriting and Presenting for Podcasts and Radio
Part 1:Facilitator: Jenny Davis (Perth)
January 30th & 31st - Introduction to scriptwriting.
March 13th & 14th - Creative Development sessions.
Part 2: Facilitators: Lois Saunders and Kym 'Bid' Bidstrup (Esperance)
February 23rd, 10am or 5pm - Next Steps: Understanding dialogue, performing, recording and editing. These informal meetings will be ongoing. Contact us for more information.
Act-Belong-Commit Art for Mindfulness - Journaling
Facilitator: Megan Warren (Esperance)
February 6th - Journaling techniques.
March 6th - Written Journals.
April 10th - Visual Journals.
Act-Belong-Commit Art for Mindfulness - Old and new and blue: cyanotype workshops (Printmaking using pages from old books)
Facilitator: Perdita Phillips (Perth)
February 20th - Introduction to cyanotypes — sun prints and preparing paper
February 21st - More from cyanotypes - Digital negatives and demonstration of toning and wet cyanotypes
Facilitator: Yann Toussaint (Albany)
February 27th-28th - Half-day creative writing workshops with a focus on nature writing and poetry.
Act-Belong-Commit Resilience for Youth through Arts - Upcycled Journals
Facilitator: Carol Thompson (Kalgoorlie)
March 15th-19th & April 26th-30th - Workshops series for schools.
Act-Belong-Commit Art for Mindfulness - Book Binding
Facilitator: Kerrie Argent (Lake Grace)
March 20th - 21st - Create your own journal by upcycling old books.
Feedback on Your Fiction
Facilitator: Carol Hoggart
April 17th- 18th - Calling all fiction writers! Receive friendly and constructive feedback on something you’ve written.
Facilitator: Sam Carmody (Albany)
March 27th - 28th - Songwriting workshops with award winning novelist and songwriter.
Putting Pen to Paper
Facilitator: Dorothy Henderson
March 31st & April 7th, 15th, 21st, 29th & May 5th, 13th - Help tell your story, or the stories of others.
Noongar Daa Adaptation and Inspiration
Presenters: Kylie Bracknell and Clint Bracknell
March 18th, 6pm - 7.30pm
ETNTAC, 11A Shelden Rd, Esperance.
Kylie & Clint are Boomerang and Spear. This presentation will discuss the creative processes behind the Noongar language adaptations of Hecate (Shakespeare’s Macbeth) and Fist of Fury Noongar Daa (Bruce Lee’s 1972 feature film). Rather than being direct translations, both works have been reimagined in a Noongar framework. Hecate and Fist of Fury Noongar Daa are inspirational world firsts and draw on Boomerang and Spear’s combined 50 years experience in the creative arts. They will share behind the scenes footage, songs and firsthand stories.
Light supper provided.
Presented by Esperance Tjaltjraak Native Title Aboriginal Corporation.
Esperance Climate Action Group 2040 Creative Writing Competition
Entries due 24th May
Book Launch - Nicole Chalmer , Fri 28th May, 5-6pm, The Bijou Theatre
Free Writing Workshop for young people, Esperance Museum, 28th May, 4.30 - 6pm.
Book Reading with Jodi McNish, Esperance Public Library , 29th May,10am
Book Launch, Our Art, Our Culture, Our Way : Kepa Kurl Community Arts Programs 2016 -2021, Saturday May 29th, 5.30-7.30pm, Esperance Bay Yacht Club.
Southern Scribes Travel Writing Workshop Series: with Will
Yeoman, Travel Writer at the West Australian, 26th & 27th May, Hopetoun
Venue: Mary Ann Haven, Veal Street, Hopetoun. For bookings and details contact Dellis from the Southern Scribes on 0429 329 229
Wednesday 26th May
2.00 - 5.00pm: Field Notes
6.00 - 8.00pm: Tools of the Trade
Thursday 27th May
9.00 - 12.00pm: From Parrots to Poets
For more information about these sessions please click here to download the workshop descriptions.
Presenter: Travel writer and photographer Will Yeoman has been a journalist for The West Australian for nearly 15 years, during which time he has held a number of other positions at the paper, including Literary Editor and Senior Arts Writer. He is also a regular contributor to classical music magazines Gramophone (UK) and Limelight (Australia). He was director of Perth Writers Festival in 2018 and 2019, and founder and director of New Norcia Writers Festival, which ran between 2015 and 2019. A keen classical guitarist, Will regularly performs with The West’s Travel Editor, novelist and spoken word artist Stephen Scourfield.
Paint Esperance REaD
In partnership with Escare Incorporated, Esperance Community Arts will be presenting 2 book readings per month for children under 5 years and their families from February to May. Readings will feature stories by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander authors and will take place from 10am - 11am on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the last week of each month at Esperance Community Arts Space (67 Dempster St, opposite the Museum).
February: Tuesday 23rd & Thursday 25th
March: Tuesday 23rd & Thursday 25th
April : Tuesday 27th & Thursday 29th
May: Tuesday 25th (Thursday 27th session cancelled)
* Please note: children MUST be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Visit the PTTR website to find out about this national program designed to engage the whole community to assist with promoting early years literacy through reading, singing, drawing and a range of other activities with children under 5 years to help prepare them for school.
Exhibition : On the Edge ...
An exhibition of artworks created from recycled books
Exhibition 22nd May - 6th June.
Opening Event Saturday 22nd May, 2-4pm
Esperance Community Arts Space, 67 Dempster St
Visiting Presenters MAY 28th - 30th
Kim Scott (Fiction) - KEYNOTE SPEAKER
Sarah Drummond (Historical Fiction)
Sam Carmody (Fiction & Songwriting)
Yann Toussaint (Nature writing & poetry)
Jon Doust (Fiction)
Andrea Gaynor (Environmental History)
Denmark / Perth
Will Yeoman (Travel Writing)
participating local writers
Fleur McDonald (Fiction)
Kim Maslin (Children's Fiction)
Wanika Fazekas (Romance)
Nicole Chalmer (Environmental History)
Lois Saunders (Biography)
Megan Warren (Journaling)
Jennifer Ford (Archivist)
Carol Hoggart (Historical Fiction)
Kym 'Bid' Bidstrup (Film maker)
Register for events
To register for sessions at the Grand Finale, click on Readers and Writers Esperance 2021 Grand Finale event below. Clicking on the RSVP button will take you to the ticket section where you can register for full days or individual sessions.
Partners and Sponsors
Readers & Writers Esperance 2021 is presented by Esperance Community Arts.
It is coordinated with the support of a dedicated volunteer subcommittee.
This project is partly supported through the State Government's Royalties for Regions Program as part of the Regional Arts and Cultural Investment Program, and Regional Arts WA.
Thank you to all our project sponsors and our core funding partners
- Sat, 29 MayEsperance29 May 2021, 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm AWSTEsperance, The Esplanade, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Sat, 29 MayThe Bijou Theatre29 May 2021, 9:00 am – 30 May 2021, 5:00 pmThe Bijou Theatre , 115 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Fri, 28 MayThe Bijou Theatre, Esperance28 May 2021, 5:00 pm – 8:00 pmThe Bijou Theatre, Esperance, 115 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Fri, 28 MayThe Bijou Theatre, Esperance28 May 2021, 5:00 pm – 6:00 pmThe Bijou Theatre, Esperance, 115 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Sat, 22 MayEsperance Community Arts22 May 2021, 2:00 pm – 06 June 2021, 4:00 pmEsperance Community Arts , 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Sat, 08 MayEsperance08 May 2021, 11:00 am – 1:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Fri, 30 AprEsperance30 Apr 2021, 1:00 pm AWST – 11 May 2021, 4:00 pm AWSTEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia30 Apr 2021, 1:00 pm AWST – 11 May 2021, 4:00 pm AWSTEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaCreate your own artworks from recycled books. Drop into our open studio for an hour or two or three to work on your own book art creations for our Readers & Writers Esperance 2021 Exhibition. Please note that registration is not mandatory, drop in on the selected dates & time when you're free!
- Sat, 17 AprEsperance17 Apr 2021, 10:00 am – 18 Apr 2021, 3:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia17 Apr 2021, 10:00 am – 18 Apr 2021, 3:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaCalling all fiction writers! Would you like some friendly and constructive feedback on something you’ve written? This two day workshop runs 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th April. Read more details below.
- Sat, 10 AprEsperance10 Apr 2021, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia10 Apr 2021, 2:30 pm – 3:30 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaWriter & actor “Bid” Bidstrup invites you to learn the basics of the global phenomenon that is podcasting. Whether it's for fun, profit or just to join the global conversation on your favourite subject, podcasting is now within the reach of virtually anyone with a computer and a good idea.
- Sat, 10 AprEsperance Community Arts10 Apr 2021, 11:00 am – 1:00 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia10 Apr 2021, 11:00 am – 1:00 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaWorkshop facilitated by Megan Warren. Workshop Three - Art Journaling A different perspective on journaling, an introduction to art journaling and the options that it offers. Create a journal page from magazine or book images, add words or keep it as a visual entry. Click RSVP for more information.
- Wed, 07 AprEsperance07 Apr 2021, 11:00 am – 13 May 2021, 1:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia07 Apr 2021, 11:00 am – 13 May 2021, 1:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australiawork with you to help you tell your story, or the stories of others. Participants are encouraged to bring work with them, or start new work. This is an opportunity to share ideas and thoughts during the workshops in a safe and non-threatening space.
- Sat, 27 MarEsperance Community Arts27 Mar 2021, 10:30 am – 28 Mar 2021, 3:30 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia27 Mar 2021, 10:30 am – 28 Mar 2021, 3:30 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaMusic lyric writing is a complex, mysterious art. In this workshop, novelist and award-winning songwriter Sam Carmody will examine the process of turning sounds into poetry and discuss the importance that imagery plays in writing effective, memorable lyrics. Click on 'Register'for more information.
- Sat, 20 MarEsperance Community Arts20 Mar 2021, 10:30 am – 21 Mar 2021, 3:30 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia20 Mar 2021, 10:30 am – 21 Mar 2021, 3:30 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaPresented by Kerrie Argent Create your own journal from old books . Have you ever thought of up-cycling your old encyclopaedias to create journals that you can use for new work or to give away as gifts? This is a fun workshop over two days that allows you to give new life to old paper.
- Tue, 16 MarEsperance16 Mar 2021, 3:30 pm – 18 Mar 2021, 5:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia16 Mar 2021, 3:30 pm – 18 Mar 2021, 5:00 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaArt-making is good for health and well being and can be lots of fun. These free community workshops are facilitated by visiting artist, Carol Thompson. Participants will create visual journals from old books whilst also exploring the idea of personal resilience.
- Sat, 13 MarEsperance Community Arts13 Mar 2021, 10:30 am – 14 Mar 2021, 2:30 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia
- Sat, 06 MarEsperance Community Arts06 Mar 2021, 11:00 am – 1:00 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia06 Mar 2021, 11:00 am – 1:00 pmEsperance Community Arts, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaOne workshop facilitated by Megan Warren. Workshop Two - Found Word Journaling Create a journal page using found words from old magazines or books, or use the words to jump start a journal entry. Participants will need a pen. Bring your own notebook / journal. Click on RSVP for more information.
- Sat, 27 FebEsperance27 Feb 2021, 10:30 am AWST – 28 Feb 2021, 3:30 pm AWSTEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia27 Feb 2021, 10:30 am AWST – 28 Feb 2021, 3:30 pm AWSTEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaTwo workshops facilitated by Yann Toussaint over 27th & 28th February, 10.30-3.30 each day. Explore how environmental poetry, creative non-fiction, and ‘the new nature writing’ can help us give voice to the stories of this country and the more-than-human world we share.
- Sat, 20 FebEsperance20 Feb 2021, 11:30 am – 21 Feb 2021, 3:30 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, Australia20 Feb 2021, 11:30 am – 21 Feb 2021, 3:30 pmEsperance, 67 Dempster St, Esperance WA 6450, AustraliaPresented by Perdita Phillips 11.30am - 3.30pm 20th Feb & 10am - 2.30pm 21st Feb: Create prints using sunlight, pages of old books and digital images at this two day workshop. Come along to day 1 to for an introduction to the cyanotype process or come along to both days to extend your skills.